Strings

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
Cigar36

Strings

Postby Cigar36 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 pm

While Bourgeois ship with D'Addario xp strings, how many of you settle on other strings?

So what are you using on your Bourgeois?

Haasome

Re: Strings

Postby Haasome » Tue May 10, 2016 2:25 pm

I own a Redwood/EIR OM, Adi/MRW OM and a German/EIR 0. I use both D'Addario EJ16 strings and John Pearse PB 600L and I'm not sure I have a preference between the two brands on these guitars.

Cigar36

Postby Cigar36 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 pm

I have gone back to the D'Addario exp's on my redwood/walnut 00. Tried the Elixir's but seemed too stiff.

tomiv9

Postby tomiv9 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:18 pm

I just recieved my Custom Short Scale OM (Adirondack/Madagascar) a few months ago. I dont really like coated strings, so although the XPs sounded ok i took them off fairly quickly. So far i have tried Santa Cruz Mid Tension, Martin SP PB Custom Lights, and John Pearse PB Lights. Of those i prefer the John Pearse best, but am still experimenting. It also could just be the guitar opening up, as it does seem to be getting better the more i play. Plan on trying Thomastik Plectrum 12s next.

Cigar36

Postby Cigar36 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Just put a set of DR Sundeams on my Bourgeois OM Italian Spruce/Madagascar and thus far like them. My try a set on one of my OO's.

Tenbrooks

Postby Tenbrooks » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 pm

It's Elixir nano-web 80/20's for my V2MD.
Bryce
'09 Bourgeois V2MD

Ali Gorie

Postby Ali Gorie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 pm

hi all, new here, have been playing my J-OM since ’99.
Ah the great string debate !.
The short answer is that I use DR Rares and Newtone Masterclass (when I can get them).
Both of these manufacturers produce a high quality product in both materials and construction, Newtone even publishes their wrap wire composition ! -
“We always try to ensure that the materials we use are the finest available. Our phosphor bronze is of the Cu92 Sn8 composition, a 92% copper to 8% tin ratio as used extensively in the manufacture of cymbals. The steel we use for our plain strings and cores is high tensile tin plated, the tin being sufficient to resist corrosion under normal circumstances." - M. Newton
*note - no Zinc which may be present in a typical $5 a set, it is added by some manufacturers to extend the playable life by retarding the effects of finger sweat / oil, it also affects the ’sound’ of the string, it is a cheaper alloy to produce, from a shareholders point of view - ‘whats not to like’.
The main reason guitar producers put ‘coated’ strings on their new guitars is so they will last longer hanging on store walls and being played by all manner of sweaty greasy handed pizza munching customers but as an owner / user of a guitar and u don’t kill strings quick theres no need to read to much into what strings u’r guitar came wearing though on light built guitars ‘gauge’ can be an issue.

Haasome

Postby Haasome » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Ali, Welcome to this sleepy corner of the internet.

Ali Gorie

Postby Ali Gorie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:14 pm

thanks Haasome, forgot my p/word - dumb.
don't mind 'sleepy' long as it's high quality - like these guitars - smarmy eh.

Tenbrooks

Postby Tenbrooks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:09 pm

You may be surprised at how good the Tony Rice Monel strings sound. I've tried them on several guitars (including my Bourgeois V2MD) and they sound great. You may give them a try sometime.
Bryce
'09 Bourgeois V2MD

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”