Aged Tone series

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
Beargrass

Aged Tone series

Postby Beargrass » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Would like to know opinions on the Aged tone series from current owners, or from anyone who has played any dreadnoughts from this series. I'm looking into a large soundhole model, aged tone with mahogany back and sides. I am mainly a bluegrass player.

Thanks

Ryan at Bourgeois

Re: Aged Tone series

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:03 am

I have one a Fully Torrefied Aged Tone D, and it's one of the most "vintage" sounding dreads I've ever heard (and before Bourgeois I worked at a shop where comparing vintage Martins was a daily occurrence). It does have and Aged Tone top, back, sides, bracing, and finish. Clearly though, you should hear from someone that doesn't work for the company. Hopefully one of the other folks here will chime in!

Ryan Fitzsimmons
Bourgeois Guitars

Tenbrooks

Postby Tenbrooks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I have the exact guitar you're looking to purchase. Purchased in early 2017, it's the Large Soundhole, Fully Torrefied, Mahogany B&S Bourgeois with a 1-23/32" nut. It is one of several guitars I have including an '09 Bourgeois V2MD, which preceded the AT guitars and had a "varnish" finish intended to deliver a vintage tone. I do believe the Large Soundhole AT has a richer and deeper tone and seems to be a little lighter in weight. Both Bourgeois guitars are outstanding but I believe I'd reach for the LSH version if I could only keep one. If you like mahogany dreads and are comfortable with the neck profile Dana uses, you won't be disappointed in the AT LSH mahogany - guaranteed.
Bryce
'09 Bourgeois V2MD

Yarbrough

Postby Yarbrough » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I've got an Aged Tone Madagascar D. When people play it for the first time, they are nearly always stunned by its power and volume. Those are off the charts, but for me the clincher is the tone. The guitar just sounds old. It has the dryness I associate with vintage Martins. I've played lots of AT models, including the original Bryan Sutton prototype, which once spent a night at my house, and the original LSH model that was auctioned in a benefit for Tony Rice. I wish I could come up with a better word than "breathtaking" to describe them, but I can't. The first AT model I ever played was a mahogany D at the Music Emporium. I didn't buy it, because I already had a Country Boy that I love, but when I strummed a G on it, it forever altered my notions about how good a new guitar could sound. I'm getting ready to order an AT OM. These instruments are incredible.

B Bailey

Postby B Bailey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Just joined Bourgeois Forums because I want to buy a Bourgeois. I've been trying to trade in a Martin HD-16R (Adi top and EIR back/sides). Only problem is that it's signed by a famous player and that precludes a number of dealers from taking it on trade.

The other issue is funding the Bourgeois I want. I was overwhelmed by the review Tony Polecastro did of the OM LSH with AT and did a lot of personal research to find one. Clearly above my current budget, but what you're describing sure sounds like the one I want!

drbluegrass

Postby drbluegrass » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:58 am

Used to have an AT Mahogany dread. It was one of the very best D18 based dreads I've ever played.

George3rd

Postby George3rd » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I own a D Vintage AT Sitka top with gorgeous Rosewood back and sides. It is absolutely stunning how Great it sounds and how loud it projects. My next one will have a large soundhole...

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”