OM vs. Dreadnought

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
tonchobluegrass

OM vs. Dreadnought

Postby tonchobluegrass » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi, I've only owned one guitar and its a Martin D-16gt. So its safe to say i'm use to the dreadnoughts, but I've been watching some great videos of people playing the Bourgeois OM's and man they are gorgeous. I feel kinda stuck, I want that gorgeous sound of the OM but i'm worried i'll lose some of the nitty gritty base and strong volume I get in my dread. BTW i'm saving up to buy a Bourgeois!
So i'm wondering if I can have my cake and eat it, is there some comfortable middle ground? I'm planning on getting the OM/any Bourgeois guitar in a rosewood, Brazilian if I can be patient enough :) So I'm wondering if the rosewood will give me more of the bass response I'm use too, and also help with the volume that a big dread has always given me.
Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

BourgeoisFan

Re: OM vs. Dreadnought

Postby BourgeoisFan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Really, I don't think you can get that bass response from an OM.
I had a Braz/Adi Bourgeois 00 and it had a wonderful, full sound. I much prefer the feel and size of OMs and 00s and don't need the "extra" bass.
Ultimately it is up to you and your preferences. I know what that sound is that you like, but I don't need that to enjoy the rich full bass of smaller guitars.

tonchobluegrass

Postby tonchobluegrass » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Well thats awesome news. Thanks for the response, I've been trying to get a feel for OM's versus Dreadnoughts ,but my local music store only has taylors and primarily the grand auditorium models. Thats probably why I'm thinking inbetween with the JOMC.
Here's another question for you or anyone else kind enough to respond. If I make a custom OMC, make it with brazillian and european spruce, for fingerstyle, if I have the standard bracing on it, so I can put heavier strings, even though I'm primarily fingerstyle would this set up be good If i suddenly switched to flatpicking only?. Could I really dig in to the OMC?
Any responses much appreciated!

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Hey there! An OMC with a belly bridge will definitely take Medium strings. If you are looking for an OM with more of a "dreadnought" sound, the Large Soundhole OM is a great way to go. It has some of the headroom of a dread and a similar tonal pallate, which is really cool in an OM. Here are several:

https://bourgeoisguitars.net/how-to-buy ... -soundhole

If you really need the cutaway and want to increase bass response, you could do either a JOM or a Deep Body OMC (the deep body OMC would have a dreadnought depth). Let me know if you have more questions! ryan @ bourgeoisguitars.com

Ryan Fitzsimmons

tonchobluegrass

Postby tonchobluegrass » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the Response! Ryan your guys Soloist models and OM's sound so amazing, I've been looking up deep body OM's bourgeois and others to get a better Idea, I'm going to a bigger city this weekend so I"m going to track down some of these guitars to try, but I think the Deep body is my pick right now. I'm only curious how you Ryan or anyone else feels about using this deep body OM as a flatpicking guitar, even though i'm planning on finger style mostly. Because I'm in love with the OM and I'm hoping that OM deep body will give me a little more versatility for flatpicking. Anyones thoughts welcome!
Cheers!

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks! Deep Body OMs flatpick well, and are awesome for fingerstyle. The JOM is decidedly more "dreadnought" sounding, but it is a bigger body for sure. Our favorite small-bodied guitar to flatpick is the Large Soundhole OM. There's something to the response of these that is a bit more open, and therefore a little more dreadnought-like. They flatpick amazingly well, and they are still a traditional OM body shape.

Steveomatic

Postby Steveomatic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:48 am

How does the OMC handle open e tuning? I play a lot in open E but I do not like tuning down and using a capo so I prefer to use the actual open E tuning. Can the neck handle open E tuning without an issue? I use custom light strings. I should also say that mine is a 1998 model.

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:07 am

Our current necks are re-enforced with graphite rods and a very good truss-rod system, but I'll have to do some research to confirm the 1998 design. In open E, using lighter gauge strings for 3, 4, and 5 especially is definitely recommended if you are going to tune up for many reasons though, as it will put extra tension on the bridge that would be my largest concern. With a light enough gauge string it shouldn't be an issue to tune up to open E.

Dreamtimeland

Postby Dreamtimeland » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 am

I'm a little late here, but I'm impressed by the D12 with Redwood top and Cocobolo back and sides as an exceptional multi use guitar. The only real considerations are of course going by the 12th fret, using a capo (dido) and potential alternate tuning issues that may occur when you loosen strings on a short scale Dreadnaught. When your working in in 12 frets in standard tuning this guitar wonderfully unorthodox. The tone woods and body seem establish a counterpoint to any sonic issue leaving you with a stealth guitar.

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”