How I Came to Bourgeois

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
ffinke

Re: How I Came to Bourgeois

Postby ffinke » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:13 pm

I used to play a Martin D-18 until I switched to strictly classical for a while. After quad-bypass surgery in 2007 I decided I wanted to get back to steel strings, first hastily buying a Taylor 214 and then a Larrivee L-03. I figured a good playmate for the Larrivee (I sold the Taylor post haste) was another Martin (maybe OM?). I went to Elderly in Lansing, MI where I bought the Larrivee and tried many Martins and came across a used Bourgeois OM whose tone was so rich it haunted me. I bought other guitars ending up with 4 total but the sound of the Bourgeois kept haunting me so, when I saw a "Want to Sell or Trade" notice advertising a custom Bourgeois 00 I offered up my Santa Cruz OM and the trade was finalized. I'm thrilled to finally be the owner of one of Dana's little wonders!

Dread

Postby Dread » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 pm

Welcome, HorowitzM and FFinke! Please come back often and post a lot. Put up some nice pictures of your fabulous Bourgeois guitars!

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ryan Fitzsimmons, I'm officially the Online Marketing Manager at Bourgeois. I'd love to help out with any questions anyone here has about our guitars, Dana, the shop, the staff, etc... Before working at Bourgeois, I spent almost a decade working in a small guitar shop that sold Bourgeois Guitars. However, long before that, when I was shopping my first "good" guitar in my teens, a shop brought over a Bourgeois Dread for me to check out, using it as the best example of how fine a high-end instrument could be. I was blown away. My love and respect for Bourgeois Guitars started then and has never waned!

Ryan Fitzsimmons
Bourgeois Guitars
ryan@bourgeoisguitars.com

Black Beauty

Postby Black Beauty » Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 am

Great to see you here Ryan! If they're happy for their names and positions to be shared, it'd be cool to know who works at Bourgeois and what their roles are! It's always cool to know a little bit about the luthiers behind the guitars.
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian/Rosewood)

AZguitar

Postby AZguitar » Mon May 25, 2015 9:15 am

I'm taking 'lessons' from Bryon Sutton online. I noticed he plays a number of Bourgeois guitars and recently got a signature model. I decided when the time was right, I'd pick one up. I decided to trade off a fingerstyle guitar I had last month and found a Custom D with bearclaw Sitka and Madagascar Rosewood. I played it and knew immediately it sounded special enough that it should go home with me.

Now I want a DS260 12 fret......

Steve

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:31 am

Black Beauty, I'll see if I can get together a list of some of the current staff for you. We are very small (12 folks at the current count), so there's a lot of job-sharing that happens on the floor. It is often hard to define a specific role for one employee!

Burnzy

Postby Burnzy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 pm

My Irish twin has had a slope shoulder dread for a few years now, beautiful thing, think it's the "banjo killer" with a simply stunning tobacco sunburst top, quite dark yet still shows the Adi grain through it. I finally played it once and that was all it took. Went on the hunt and found a virtually unplayed 2009 DBJC with the most exquisite bearclaw top over EIR and a K&K electronics installed. As a quieter fingerstyle player it blew me away. Quite different from my bro's but has an unparalleled tonal range that's very difficult to describe. The response to subtle changes in attack set it apart from anything else I've ever tried out, plus the fact that it's drop dead beautiful. He still insists I should go back and pay the guy another couple grand for it as I practically stole it. Best guitar I've ever had in my hands, and I've played and owned a pile......

Icarus

Postby Icarus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:35 am

I made the mistake of playing a few Bourgeois guitars while on a business trip a few years ago and have been dreaming about picking up a Bourgeois ever since. I recently broke down and purchased a very nice Ricky Skaggs Signature Model and couldn't be happier. Of course now I want an OM.

Ricey

Postby Ricey » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:33 pm

I had been reading about guitars and particularly about the high quality instruments coming out of smaller shops. This was in 2004. What I really had in mind was possibly getting my first new guitar since 1976. That fall we were vacationing in Maine, and one rainy day my wife and I decided to see if we could find where the Bourgeois guitars were made. We drove the hour or so to Lewiston. It was pouring when we got there. Dana himself showed us around and explained the whole production process. He was very unassuming and I didn't even realize it was him at the time. He recommended a couple of dealers that were on our route home, and it was there that I made my choice of an OM. I've owned a few Bourgeois guitars since, but that first one was especially life-changing. It inspired me to improve my play and even take up songwriting. It's a lifelong hobby that I love. I'm really glad we took that trip.

Haasome

Postby Haasome » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 pm

A friend who was visiting brought his OM along, I played it and thought it was really special instrument. Now I'm happily two OMs and one O Classic into the DB collective.

Paul

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”