How I Came to Bourgeois

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
Dollar231

Re: How I Came to Bourgeois

Postby Dollar231 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 pm

I was looking for an OM about 10 years ago and a small local shop had almost anything you could have wanted. They had a Bourgeois Soloist made of Honduran Rosewood and European Spruce. It came home with me. I turn 50 next month and my wife is getting me one of the 40th Anniversary OMs for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that!

Bill
2015 40th Anniversary OM #7 of 15
2004 Soloist European/Honduran

MatthewChulka

Postby MatthewChulka » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:15 am

Dollar231 wrote:I was looking for an OM about 10 years ago and a small local shop had almost anything you could have wanted. They had a Bourgeois Soloist made of Honduran Rosewood and European Spruce. It came home with me. I turn 50 next month and my wife is getting me one of the 40th Anniversary OMs for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that!

Bill

What a great post, and more importantly.. What a great wife!!
You'll have 2 of the finest OMs on the planet. Congrats!
matt@eddiesguitars.com
eddiesguitars.com
youtube.com/eddiesguitarsstl

Kidsmoke

Postby Kidsmoke » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:11 am

As a fledgling guitarist, I had a cheap ol' import Washburn. I was aware of the reputation of Bourgeois guitars, and a friend owned a couple that I was fortunate to play. By the by I came to learn that DB had built a handful of unusually appointed guitars for Washburn in the mid 90's and kept my eyes open. Eventually found one in a collection that was being liquidated in an estate sale. Due to the name on the headstock, it was able to be had at a price not at all consistent with DB builds. Still hope to add a more modern Bourgeois build to my quiver, but I'm blessed as it is with what I've got.
'95 Cherokee Dread

zumaboy57

Postby zumaboy57 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:16 am

I had pretty much been a Martin D-28/rosewood dread guy for a long time, but after getting a Santa Cruz mahogany OM/PW I gained a new appreciation for the benefits of that great tone wood too. So I decided that I wanted a really nice mahogany dread and started looking. I played many different guitars over many months. I was living in New Mexico at the time and had become friends with Stan Burg, owner of Guitar Vista in Albuquerque and a great guy. Stan knew what I was looking for and when I stopped by the shop one day, he was just unpacking a brand new Bourgeois Vintage Dreadnought in mahogany with an Adirondack top, hide glue, and all the trimmings. Nobody had it yet since leaving the factory. I sat down with it and the next 45 minutes just kind of melted away. The rest is history...

Jiber

Postby Jiber » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:30 pm

In June of 2012, an AGF member who knew I was searching for a guitar suggested I check out a pre-owned old growth mahogany and redwood OO with hothide glue at Redwood Acoustics. After several conversations with Tom, the owner of Redwood Acoustics, I pulled the trigger. After it arrived, I fell in love with the tone and could not put it down. Wanting a bigger sound and after consulting with Tom, I ordered a shortscale EIR/German OM from him. My better half loved both Bourgeois's and wanted one as well and living in two homes 1,300 miles apart due to our work has resulted in us now owning four Bourgeois guitars; 1) shortscale OM EIR/German, 2) a shortscale OM Madagascar/Italian HH, 3) a SJ Madagascar/Italian HH, and 4) a Sloped D EIR/Adi which we picked up from the AGF classifieds. I would say we are both hooked on Bourgeois. ;)
Last edited by Jiber on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DenverSteve

Postby DenverSteve » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:19 pm

I saw Matt Chulka playing the first JOM Banjo Killer on the Eddie's Guitars web site. It was obviously a special guitar so I ordered it. It is very special indeed. Now a few months later I've added a 00 Vintage to the group of Martins, Gibsons and others and couldn't be happier. Both are fantastic guitars and keepers for sure.

kpbeddin

Postby kpbeddin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

I owned a Vintage D several years ago. It was a great guitar, but I ended up selling to fund another purchase. I recently picked up a used 2014 AT Vintage D Brazilian that is one special guitar. I am a Collings fan and own several, but now I'm concerned that I may not be satisfied with just one Bourgeois.

Triaxis

Postby Triaxis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Hello folks. I live here in Finland - Scandinavia.
I met Dana Winter NAMM -94 and played the guitars he had back then on his small booth. Later I ordered two instruments. I guess I was the first one in Europe who did it. It does not matter. Later I received several guitars, sold them and all of them are in use somewhere in Finland. I do know there are happy owners still.
I own 2001 Country Boy D model that I bought a couple of years ago as second hand. This guitar is my joy really.
I am really happy Dana has made it and the quality of Bourgeois is so good. I really hope I can one day do it again. We do not have dealer nowadays and it really is a shame. Maybe one day .....

George3rd

Postby George3rd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm

A couple of years back I had John McQuarrie build me a Northwood Mini J florentine with a torrefied Adi top and Madagascar back/sides. Ever since I have been totally hooked on torrefied tops. IMHO there is nothing better for a brand new guitar. So when I started really investigating torrefaction and torrefied tops I was not too surprised to find that Dana Bourgeois had pioneered them in the first place, and probably had the best handle on how to get the best quality from his drying methods. So began the quest of trying to find a Bourgeois I could afford... One Monday afternoon in October I was searching torrefied tops on Reverb and came across an excellent find, so I purchased it. My first Bourgeois is a D-Vintage AT Sitka top with gorgeous Indian RW back and sides. It just blows me away in all areas; fit, finish, playability, tonal quality, volume cast, etc. I would swear it sounds like a really good vintage guitar should...

P. S. I am already having a large soundhole custom model quoted for my second one. You know, you can't have just one...

drbluegrass

Postby drbluegrass » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 am

It was actually my second Bourgeois, the first being an absolutely sublime sounding Vintage D Brazilian. I stopped in at Morgan Music to pick up some instruments I had serviced. I had no intentions whatsoever of buying any guitar, banjo, mandolin, kazoo, or any other instrument. I was perfectly happy with what I had and I'm not much of an impulse buyer. Well...not much. Alvin Deskins, one of the store owners asked me if I'd had a chance to try out the new Bourgeois Aged Tone Mahogany dread that had just come in. He said it was comparable to his vintage prewar Martin D-18. Alvin is as honest as the day is long so when he says you need to try something out you'd best heed his advice. So, I reluctantly took the Bourgeois 18 style guitar off the wall, sat down, and started to play. I thought I was going to fall of my stool! I could have sworn I was playing an actual prewar D-18. It sounded every bit as good as Alvin said, perhaps even better. There was no way I was going to leave that guitar in the store for someone else to buy. I'm kind of stingy that way. Yep, I walked out with the guitar that I'd had no intention of buying. Now...how to explain it to my "boss".

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”