Guitar Case Smell

This is the place to talk about the materials that make up Bourgeois (and other) guitars.
ffinke

Guitar Case Smell

Postby ffinke » Tue May 05, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm curious to know if anyone else has this problem. Every time I open the case to my 00 I get a strong odor of (from what I remember) pipe tobacco. I don't know if one of the previous owners used the humidifier in the case as a humidor along with the guitar or if this is just a smell that comes as a bonus with the figured Mahogany/Italian Spruce of the guitar. I'm not saying it's a bad smell but it does remind me of my pipe smoking days from 40 years ago.

ffinke

Re: Guitar Case Smell

Postby ffinke » Mon May 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Does anyone have an idea or has any of you ever had this happen to them?

Bourgeois Nut

Postby Bourgeois Nut » Tue May 12, 2015 8:05 pm

I have never smelled nor heard of the smell you describe.
In a similar vein, I was into acquiring pre-war Martins (small bodied) at one point and those old cases caused me to sneeze--I suppose the dust, mold, etc. I gave them up for new small bodied guitars.

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:22 am

Hi there,

That tobacco smell is not part of the essence of that Mahogany/Italian 00 guitar, and it is more likely left-over from the previous owner. Guitar case linings are a magnet for that particular odor. Before I signed on with Bourgeois, I dealt with many used guitars. Unground coffee beans left inside the empty case for a time often do wonders to change the odor, although I cannot say if it happens by absorption of by simply masking the other smell.

Ryan

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks for the input Ryan. Luckily it smells like fresh pipe tobacco and not tobacco smoke. I'm actually beginning to like it (although I quit smoking PERMANENTLY 4 days before my quadruple by-pass surgery 7-1/2 years ago). It's really quite aromatic and almost rustic.

Again, thanks.

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 am

Sounds like it's definitely a healthier way to enjoy that tobacco smell. Glad you are still around to tell us about it! Take care!

billguitar7

Postby billguitar7 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 pm

I bought a Gibson AJ a few years ago from a musician in Nashville. Great guitar but the case smelled like beer and smoke. I shampooed the lining, dried it with a hair dryer and then left it outside in the sun. That took care of the case. Unfortunately the guitar itself smelled bad too. Not near as strong thankfully as the case. I tried various things including baking soda. Even rubbed down the inside with a damp (not wet) sponge. All helped a little. In time though without the case reinforcing the smell it went away. Don't know if any of that is something that one should do but I was desperate and it worked with no ill effects after 5 years.

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks for the input, Bill'7. I figure that maybe the guitar case was used as a pipe tobacco humidor. Luckily one of the previous owners took it outside to light up as the smell is quite pleasant. And because I don't plan to sell this guitar anytime soon I'll just inhale the sweet smell of UNLIT tobacco!

f

kenedy

Postby kenedy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:32 pm

I have never smelled such kind that you have mentioned here....
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Return to “Wood and Wire”