Torrified Wood

This is the place to talk about the materials that make up Bourgeois (and other) guitars.
BourgeoisFan

Torrified Wood

Postby BourgeoisFan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:08 am

Can anyone talk from experience about Torrified Wood, particularly that being used by Bourgeois Guitars?

BourgeoisFan

Re: Torrified Wood

Postby BourgeoisFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

I, for one, would sure like to know more about torrified wood. Please get someone to tell us about it.

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Seems like I recently saw something in Fretboard Journal or Acoustic Guitar Magazine by Dana Bourgeois about his system of torrefication. As I understand it (and I just like to play mine in over time) it's a process of heating the wood to cook out the resins to make the wood respond more like really old (and really played) instruments. I think a lot of people who buy new guitars are disappointed by the tone of a guitar that hasn't been played in and this can alleviate some of that disappointment (albeit at a greatly elevated price). A case in point is the Collings OM-2Hc I own: when I received it, it was only 3 years old and hadn't been played much. I was relatively disappointed in the tone but stuck it out and the guitar has bloomed into a loud and rich player. That's essentially what happened to all those 30s Martins: they just got better and better because there wasn't the internet buy/sell culture back then.
Last edited by ffinke on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 am

Hi Everyone,

Dana is always happy to talk about Torrefaction. We have a few videos in the works on the process that I will post as they are produced, but in the mean time I do recommend this article from Acoustic Guitar that quotes Dana extensively:

http://bourgeoisguitars.net/our-news/da ... ic-guitar/

There is also this recent podcast in which Jason Verlinde from Fretboard Journal interviews Dana:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast ... itar-woods

Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any specific questions!

Ryan Fitzsimmons
Bourgeois Guitars

Tenbrooks

Postby Tenbrooks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Another benefit of Torrefication is that it reduces the mass of the wood thereby making the guitar somewhat lighter and ultimately more responsive. Ever played a real mid-30's Martin D-18 and marvel at how light the instrument is and how it responds - you get the picture.
Bryce
'09 Bourgeois V2MD

Return to “Wood and Wire”