Travis Picking

Share playing tips, TABs, instructions and discuss playing technique
BourgeoisFan

Travis Picking

Postby BourgeoisFan » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Anyone still use Travis Picking, or am I the only one?

Dread

Re: Travis Picking

Postby Dread » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:56 pm

I still use it a bit but don't hear of it much anymore myself.

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 pm

I used to do a thumb pick/2-finger pick thing that I called "Travis Picking" for a long time until I found out you only use one finger and the thumb. So I guess I've never been a Travis picker. After playing classical for a while I now use thumb and three fingers.

f
Last edited by ffinke on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dread

Postby Dread » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:46 am

I learned Travis Picking was thumb and first two fingers. I, too, try to use three fingers and thumb when I can. Doc Watson used one finger and thumb for everything, I believe.

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 pm

...and I think that Merle Travis (for whom "Travis" picking is named) only used thumb and index finger (better know as "P" and "I" in classical circles).

Flatpick_Freak

Postby Flatpick_Freak » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:33 pm

That's a whole world of coolness I'd love to explore! I can pick a banjer a little so that may help I suppose

George3rd

Postby George3rd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 am

I don't know how to Travis pick or fingerpick, but I am strictly a flatpicker and strummer. I like large body guitars with narrow nut widths, my hands are too small and my fingers to short to play the 1.75 and wider necks. I do something called crosspicking that to me is a great way to arpeggiate (real word?) chords sequences.

OMATAT

Postby OMATAT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:49 pm

My understanding of Travis Picking is the use of a flatpick between the thumb and index whilst utilizing the middle and ring finger in a fingerstyle hybrid manner. Is that correct?

ScottH

Postby ScottH » Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 am

I believe the technique you're describing, OMATAT "...a flatpick between the thumb and index whilst utilizing the middle and ring finger..." is called "hybrid" picking (the way Tommy Emmanuel often plays) while Travis picking uses either one, two or three picking fingers in addition to the alternating thumb, with or without finger picks (I use salon-applied acrylic fingernails). Merle Travis used only one picking finger, as do others, but his son, Thom Bresh, uses three. I use two, as do most people, I believe. The following is a great video of Bresh discussing his father and his picking technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TGjGjX9JwA

Return to “Playing and Technique”