Pao Rosewood

This is the place to talk about the materials that make up Bourgeois (and other) guitars.
godfreydaniel

Pao Rosewood

Postby godfreydaniel » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am

I have a prototype 0 made from bear clawed Sitka and pao rosewood. It's a great sounding guitar, the pao rosewood sounds to me somewhere between mahogany and other rosewoods.

I bought it from Brian Wolfe at AcousticMusic.org. He said the pao rosewood was given to Dana from a Japanese luthier. Does anyone know more about this? Is there any relation to pao ferro?

Ryan at Bourgeois

Re: Pao Rosewood

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello! Pao Rosewood is one of Dana's favorite back and side woods, and Brian at AcoustiMusic.Org knows why. It's an African Rosewood that is similar in density to Brazilian rosewood and lighter in color. The tonal response is very similar to Brazilian Rosewood. It is not related in any way to Pao Ferro. I hope that helps!

Dwight

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I have a wonderful Pao Rosewood 00 that I bought from Brian at Acoustic Music.org also!

Black Beauty

Postby Black Beauty » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 am

I currently own a Pao Rosewood OM, truth be told I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between my guitar and say a BRW or EIR one, what I can say though is that its bass is quite noticeable, the only downside is that it doesn't fit quite well with my singing voice so I still prefer Mahogany in that regard but for slow, melodic fingerstyle tunes it's very nice!

If anyone's interested, here is a clip of me performing live with it through a K&K:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMvMlerxew
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian/Rosewood)

jlv

Postby jlv » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 am

Hi,

I have a DB custom OM with Adirondack top and Pao rosewood back and sides (from a limited edition of 6 guitars built for the International Blue Grass Master Awards of 2007) that I bought recently from Artisan guitars in Franklin.
The guitar is second hand but looks like it was never played. (still smells the varnish)

They shipped it to South of France where I live.

This is an absolute masterpiece and a dream to play and listen to!

I though that Pao was a South Amercian rosewood and not African.
Does the guitar needs a certificate to cross borders?. (SITES rules about rosewood)
No certificate in the case..

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Best regards,

Return to “Wood and Wire”