Guitar Guru

This is the place to talk about the materials that make up Bourgeois (and other) guitars.
Ryan at Bourgeois

Guitar Guru

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Fri May 01, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Everyone,

As many of you know, Dana writes a monthly column for Acoustic Guitar. We've compiled all the past columns into one archive for your enjoyment. You can check out the archive at:

http://bourgeoisguitars.net/category/guru/

There are lots of interesting topics covered here.

If you have a question you'd like to have Dana cover in an upcoming issue, please send it along to ryan@bourgeoisguitars.com, or simply post it here. While Dana can't address every question, we love suggestions!

Thanks for your continued support!

Ryan Fitzsimmons
Bourgeois Guitars

ffinke

Re: Guitar Guru

Postby ffinke » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:28 pm

I have a subscription to AGM and have thoroughly enjoyed Dana's responses to queries. A few months ago I didn't find his byline and I thought they were playing games again. Thank heavens Dana is back with the in depth advice and answers we all enjoy. Thanks Dana!

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 pm

Ryan,
I'm curious about the mystique of "old" guitars. I know that a mid-'30s Martin dreadnaught or OM is a highly sought after (and expensive) guitar and, obviously, I have never played one. As a piece of historical "furniture" I understand the antique value of such an instrument but I have played (and own) some beautiful sounding instruments, most of which are under $5k. My question to ask Dana is: Is there really that much difference (tone wise) in a guitar that is 80+ years old versus a well played 5-10 year old guitar? Or is it just a case of "the emperor's new clothes"?

Thanks,
f

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:44 am

That's an awesome question! I can't guarantee that he'll use it, but I'll certainly send it along to Dana! Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan at Bourgeois

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:32 am

Dana's going to use your question for the next Guitar Guru article! If possible, please get back to me ASAP with your name and location at ryan@bourgeoisguitars.com!

ffinke

Postby ffinke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Ryan,
Thanks for passing my question along to "the man". I've sent you the info via PM.

Again, thanks.

f

George3rd

Postby George3rd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:24 pm

While you are asking him questions, I am curious about this... torrefied tops are becoming more and more popular and I expect that trend to continue for a long time (I already own a Sitka and an Adi and want more of them). The question is this; Will a torrefied top have less tendency to "belly" with age? Assuming it is properly cared for and stored... Thanks.

Return to “Wood and Wire”