Redwood tops

The place to talk about Bourgeois acoustic guitars
Yarbrough

Redwood tops

Postby Yarbrough » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 am

Does anyone on the forum own a Bourgeois with a redwood top? If so, could I ask how you'd characterize its tonal properties?

Ryan at Bourgeois

Re: Redwood tops

Postby Ryan at Bourgeois » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Steve,

Hopefully someone else will chime in, but I'm a big fan of redwood. To my ear it's a softer wood than any spruce, with a lot of warm overtones and super easy response. I think it sounds a little like cedar with much, much more headroom and volume potential. That's just my personal 2 cents. Dana probably has a different read on it, I'll try to get his take and post it soon!

But by all means, if anyone out there has one and would like to comment, please do.

Ryan

Vee1983

Re: Redwood tops

Postby Vee1983 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and bought a Bourgeois three days ago :) The guitar I bought is an Bourgeois OM Custom Redwood/Flamed Mahogany with hide glue. It was sold to me as having English Walnut back and sides, but to me this doesn't look like Walnut at all. I think it's probably Mahogany. I read the other post about Redwood having more overtones than Cedar, but i must say that my Om lacks overtones somewhat. It sounds dark with good sustain, but hardly any overtones.
What kind of strings do you guys use for guitars with a redwood top?
Also i'm curious about about what you think about the back and side. I'm not 100% sure it's mahogany.

Return to “Bourgeois Guitars”